Feathers of My Nest

A celebration of every day beauty through my camera lens.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Letters to my children- April 2015

This is another installment in a series of blog posts focusing on writing letters to my children. I'm fortunate to be participating in this project along with a very talented group of women photographers who enjoy capturing the every day moments spent with our children through our camera lenses.  I hope you enjoy this post!  Follow around the circle to see more from the other members of the circle!






Cooper,
This month we went for your five-year old check-up.  It’s amazing to me how big you are getting.  You just seem so much more grown up now. You were so confident through the entire visit with the nurse and the doctor.  It was a different experience with you because you were so independent.  You still wanted me nearby, but you were determined to do it all yourself.  It gave me a chance to stand back and take it all in.  My favorite moment came when you were going through the vision test.  You were so sure of yourself as you identified each of the pictures on the chart, and when you came to the picture of the mug you called out “tea!”  It gave me a big smile and warmed my heart.  Drinking hot tea is something you have liked since you were very little.  In fact, you like drinking iced tea too as long as it is what I’m drinking.  It’s something we share together, with you always sneaking a sip from my cup, and it fills my heart with joy to see your sneaky grin when I catch you in the act.  It's moments like these that I'm reminded just how much the little things matter to you.  I'm reminded of all of the nights you've asked to have "mom's hot tea" (otherwise known as ginger peach tea) with your dinner.  It makes it all worth it.  I want to remember these tiny details that make up our daily lives together.  You are such a blessing to me--I'm grateful for you every single day.  And I have so much fun being your mom.  I love you sweet boy!
 







Sarah,
This has been a month full of fun surprises!  Last week, you tried to bring a baby turtle home from school in your lunch box.  Your clever plan was thwarted when another student in your class told the teacher and she released your little friend back outside.  Your voice was full of excitement when you called to fill me in on the whole adventure.  This is the second turtle you have rescued this week—with the first being the baby you found swimming around in the pool skimmer on Easter. You immediately scooped him up, carried him around, and made him a home in a bucket that was filled with rocks, plants and a place for swimming.  There is no denying you have a special gift when it comes to animals.  Just a week earlier, you discovered 5 or 6 lizards hiding out in the backyard.  They spent the next hour warming themselves on my hand while you sketched out their portraits in your art journal.  I love watching you—it reminds me of the times your grandpa rescued turtles from the side of the road and brought them home to me in a big cardboard box.  And how I loved going to the stock show with my class each year because I knew they would be selling chameleons that I would buy and bring home.  You are so much like I was when I was your age.  I enjoy our time together so very much.  I love you sweet girl.  
Mom 
Don't forget to head over to Alba Rose Photography to see her letter and photos for this month!  I hope you enjoy our circle!
 
 

 
 

3 comments:

  1. I just love your letters and the story about the turtle.... how sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so sweet! I can't wait to have a girl one day! Last year, my 5 year old became friends with a few toads in the backyard. He really really loved them and wanted to keep them... lol. Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sweetness...I love that you have a little animal whisperer. My little girl has always been that way too. Beautiful letters and kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete