Feathers of My Nest

A celebration of every day beauty through my camera lens.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Memories to preserve




As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm working on a project to document my own childhood memories and all of the people and experiences that have made me who I am today.  I've been motivated to do this both by my own realization that this is information I really want to have about my own parents and grandparents as well as a desire to make sure my children have a way to fully know and understand who their mother was as a person.  By documenting my own story, I know it will be there for each of them to look back on when they are old enough to really understand.  If you haven't thought of doing something similar, I really encourage you to consider it.  Working on this project has really impacted the way I look at all of my other memory keeping projects in general, including how I take pictures and what information I include.  It has been lots of fun going through old photos and remembering events and experiences I had long forgotten about my own childhood.  I'm once again reminded how important pictures are to remind us who we are and where we have been. 

Below is the letter I wrote to Sarah and Cooper, introducing the album I am creating about "me" and explaining why I was driven to create it.  I've included it as the second page of my album, along with the picture above. 

To my dearest Sarah and Cooper,

This book is for you so that one day you can look back on who your mom was before I became your mom.  My hope is that by recording my memories of these times in my life, you will be able to understand what made me who I am today and where you come from.  I look on in awe as you both grow up before my eyes, and I’m constantly surprised to see how parts of who I am and who I was as a child show up in who you are now and who you are becoming.  As I look back on these photos and memories from my own childhood, I’m reminded how lucky I am to have a mom and dad who loved, nurtured, and cherished me from the very beginning.  One day, when you have your own families, I hope you will look back and realize how madly I have loved each of you from the moment I learned you were growing in my belly.  You are incredible.  You have both changed my life in so many wonderful ways and I have been truly blessed to be your mother.  I love you always, just the way you are.
Love,
Mom

I hope this encourages you to consider your own trip down memory lane from the perspective of what memories you hope to pass own to those you love.  As I make progress on my own project, I plan to keep updating it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment