Feathers of My Nest

A celebration of every day beauty through my camera lens.

Monday, February 10, 2014

My version of tortilla soup



This time of year always puts me in the mood to make a big pot of soup.  I love putting lots of different things together for a healthy lunch or dinner.  Lately, this version of tortilla soup has been one of my favorites.  It's not really traditional, but it's easy to customize by adding your favorite ingredients and the flavors are mild enough that the whole family will enjoy it.  I confess that I'm not usually concerned with exact measurements when I'm cooking something like this.  I'm known for making things up as I go.  However, for this soup I've been pretty consistent and I like the results. Here is what I do:

Ingredients:

1 large yellow onion chopped
2 bell peppers chopped (I use a combination of red, orange, and yellow)
3 medium to large carrots chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1-1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
2- 32 ounce boxes organic chicken broth (I use Swanson's Organic Broth)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
shredded meat from a large rotissieri chicken
2 small zucchini diced
1-2 cups water as needed
grated cheese, tortilla chips, and sliced avocado for garnish

Putting it together:

I use a cast iron Le Creuset pot (which I affectionately refer to as my "Magic Pot") to make this soup.  However, any large stock pot will work.  First, I saute the onion, peppers, and carrots in the olive oil on medium heat, seasoning with salt and pepper, until the vegetables start to soften and the onions are cooked through.  Then, I add the minced garlic and stir everything around to soften it a bit.  I don't like to let the garlic cook too long because it can become bitter if it starts to brown.  Next, add the chicken broth, tomatoes, shredded chicken, and beans to the pot.  Add in the cumin and some additional salt if needed to flavor the soup.  It is best to do this to taste since there are varying amounts of salt in different brands of chicken broth.  So, once everything is warmed up, I will simply grab a spoon and taste the broth, making any adjustments that are needed.  I let this simmer for as long as I can (at least 20 minutes), uncovered, stirring occasionally.  Once the carrots have softened and the flavors have had a chance to really meld together, I add the diced zucchini to the pot and cover it for another 5 to 10 minutes until it softens.  If I'm making this soup on the weekend or at a time I can let it really simmer for a while, I will often add a cup or two of water to keep the soup from getting too thick.  I just do this as needed after the soup cooks down a bit.  Just add a little at a time--it is really hard to mess this soup up. 

If you like a little bit more spice, you might consider adding a small can of diced green chilis or substitute rotel tomatoes for some of the diced tomatoes.  I have sometimes added chili powder, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, when I felt like spicing things up. I have also added different beans, like black beans, if that is what I have on hand.  Fresh, frozen, or canned corn is another good addition.  I've even added fresh Kale from time to time.  Don't be afraid to make a few of your own changes to this one.

This recipe makes a large pot of soup--enough to feed a family of four for dinner with plenty left over.  It stores really well in the refrigerator and makes a great lunch or easy dinner for second night.  It really just gets better as the flavors continue to combine together.  Enjoy!  Would love to hear how you modify my recipe to make it your own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment