Feathers of My Nest

A celebration of every day beauty through my camera lens.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Choices for every day wellness



With the days getting a little bit warmer, I find myself looking for more freshness and more time outside.  For me, this is the time of year I feel like making a new start.  I love opening the windows, turning on some great music and working on long overdue cleaning projects.  I love putting on my running shoes and heading out for a walk or taking the kids to the park.  This year, I've been trying to focus on making consistently good choices to enhance my wellness.  Getting more activity in is definitely part of that.  This is a great time to dust off those plans for a healthy change and make a fresh start.  Here are a few things I'm working on:

  1. Getting more sleep.  I'm really bad about staying up late working on a project or just mindlessly watching TV at the end of a day.  I'm learning this has to change if I want to feel better and make better eating choices. 
  2. Eating fresh.  I'm really trying to cut out refined food and eat lots of lean protein, fresh vegetables, and fruit.  Right now, I'm really enjoying the fresh raspberries I've been finding at the market.  They are full of wonderful flavor, lots of fiber, and antioxidants.  They make a great snack when I want something sweet.
  3. Moving more.  Even if I only have a few minutes, taking time to get on the exercise bike or taking a quick walk will cure almost anything that has me feeling down.
  4. Keeping a list of healthy ways to rejuvenate and refresh myself.  This helps me to avoid falling back on old habits the minute things get stressful.  Just having a list of a few things that really help me to relax and nourish me makes it more likely that I'll pick a healthy choice when times get tough. 
  5. Focusing on a project in the evenings.  If I'm not busy during this time, I really want to snack.  Since snacking and scrapbooking or journaling don't go together, I can avoid the munchies by working on something I really enjoy. 
  6. Keeping a food journal.  I've been using a new app for this called MyNetDiary.  It's a great tool that allows me to set goals and keeps me motivated to stay on track. 
One thing is for sure, the path to healthy living is a marathon, not a sprint.  It takes training, planning, and lots of perseverance in order to succeed long term.  I know I don't have it all figured out.  But, I'm making my list of goals on a monthly (and sometimes weekly) basis and this makes it much more likely that I will make better choices each day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment